Thursday, June 05, 2008

Bicycle Diaries

Today I decided to ride my bike for an actual trip as opposed to my unusual (unusual because it is far from normal) ride for exercise. Kirsten left me with the task of getting stamps. So, I decided I would ride my bike to the post office. This is not a short distance, but I remember when I used to ride my bike as a kid to the tune of 10 miles to go to the country store. I quickly realized that I am not a kid anymore, and I am not in shape. I had to take a few walking breaks along the way. Here is some of the adventure.

I passed over a canal that I have driven over a million times. This time I stopped to look at it. It is surprisingly beautiful if you take away the litter left by irresponsible people. I saw a turtle jump in the water.

While riding, I saw a beautiful yard that had grass that was too high for a yard that had been so sculpted. I thought to myself that this seemed odd (my marathon runs of House have taught me to look for clues everywhere), so I thought it was old couple that was feeling sick that lived there. When I rode back by on the way home an old man was riding the lawnmower. I think he sensed my lack of approval and took action.

On the way to the Post Office, I noticed a cross and some flowers in front of a tree that had some debris around it. I wondered what happened. On the way back, I crossed the street and ended up walking and talking to a either a person that works for Western Sizzlin, or is an ex employee that still loves to wear the shirt. He explained to me that it had been a motorcycle accident. The driver died on the spot. Then we talked about a hit and run involving a little boy last night. One of his friends called out to him and he left me.

I was passed by a fire truck responding to a call. On the back of their rig was the Tasmanian devil. I thought to myself that is exactly want I want in a fire crew. I want the Tasmanian devil coming in to save me. Fire be damned.

I stopped for a water at the gas/washer&dryer/hair salon/convenience store. I was standing next to my bike when a child came up to me and asked "who are you?" I laughed and said, "I am Jonathan, who are you?" The boy's grandmother threatened the boy with a beating for "botherin" me.

On the way home, a group of school girls commented that they liked my sunglasses as I rode by. Aside from making me uncomfortable I find that funny because they are Liz Claiborne sunglasses that Kirsten got free with purchase like 10 years ago. Durable and still stylish.

Finally, a school guard stopped traffic for me. She was a little old lady. I told her that I wasn't quite a schoolboy, but thank you. She just smiled and said, "that's alright."

Quite a trip. It may seem boring, but I enjoyed myself. I believe I will have to go on more bike rides.

7 comments:

Kirsten said...

I love that the crossing gaurd stopped traffic for you. I'm glad you had a nice adventure. Maybe the man with the overgrown lawn came out to mow it because he thought you were going to come offer to mow it for him and then he'd of been embarrassed. I bet that's it.

I'm really glad you're blogging again.

Kasey said...

I like the part about the girls liking your girly sunglasses. I chuckled.

jj said...

I don't think I've ever been on a more exciting bike trip. I used to ride my bike to the post office (hee!) when I lived on Tybee, and even though the distance doesn't seem that long, I must agree that it really is. I like that the grandmother got onto the boy who talked to you . . . I mean, he was just making conversation.

Mel said...

It's shocking to see just how much we overlook b\c we're always too busy going from point A to point B. I wish I could ride my bike with my babe in a basket on the front like Dorothy and Toto.

alicia said...

In a world where we are so fast moving, it's nice that you slowed down and enjoyed it. I was looking at a book in Books-a-Million called In Praise of Slowness - I love being slow. I am soooooo glad you are blogging again!

Jonathan said...

Thanks for the comments. Your are a very encouraging group.

K A R I™ said...

I hope you keep posting! I really enjoyed this one!